Suggest (minor): Add Tooltip for too-narrow Column Header text, just like column data.

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
raccoon

Suggest (minor): Add Tooltip for too-narrow Column Header text, just like column data.

Post by raccoon »

Some column header names are very long, like Alternate Data Stream Count and Alternate Data Stream Names, such that when sized to a narrow width, the user only sees the word "Alterna...". A tool-tip should appear when hovering over those truncated column headers, showing the full name. This is already the behavior of truncated column data.
therube

Re: Suggest (minor): Add Tooltip for too-narrow Column Header text, just like column data.

Post by therube »

Sounds good.
(Easy for me to say ;-).)

That said, I think you can customize the wording of the column headers?
Or maybe (a long ago similar inquiry I made) dealt with the Status Bar wording?
void
Developer

Re: Suggest (minor): Add Tooltip for too-narrow Column Header text, just like column data.

Post by void »

Tooltips for the column header is on my TODO list. (I need to support the dark theme)
Thank you for the suggestion.

Column header text can be customized with the localization_strings ini setting.

For example:
localization_strings=Alternate Data Stream Count=Count (AltData);Alternate Data Stream Names=Names (AltData)
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Will there be a way of renaming the column headers directly without going into the ini?

Thanks.
void
Developer

Post by void »

No, localization_strings can only be set in the Everything.ini in the same location as your Everything.exe.