Allow EFU creation of unmounted disks

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
biggestsonicfan

Allow EFU creation of unmounted disks

Post by biggestsonicfan »

Greetings

Due to a software glitch during a large data transfer from one drive to another, my MFT was overwritten on two drives. If Everything kept the index of paths, size, and attributes in it's database, this would be a huge help in recovery. However, it appears EFU can only be created with currently mounted disks. If there were a way to add a parameter to

Code: Select all

-create-file-list
to forgo scanning to update the database, I could have a whole heap of data to work with! Currently trying

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -create-file-list "recover-this.efu" "H:\"
does nothing because there is nothing mounted there. And if I mounted a drive, I would lose everything cached in Everything.

Would it be possible to add a feature like this?

EDIT: A related topic here.
Last edited by biggestsonicfan on Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: Allow EFU creation of unmounted disks

Post by therube »

If you have the .db, you can load that "offline", in a -read-only mode.

And if I mounted a drive, I would lose everything cached in Everything.
Explain that?

Make backups of your / any existing .db files (Everything.db, typically).
That would include a "straight" copy of the .db - even while Everything is active.
That might ? also include a saved/updated (to disk) copy too.

(Disk copy of .db are typically only updated at certain points in time, like on a Quit of Everything, otherwise, current changes are kept in memory & not reflected, necessarily on disk - though you can specifically write-out in memory changes to disk, i.e., the .db.)
biggestsonicfan

If you have the .db, you can load that "offline", in a -read-only mode.
What does that mean? Attempting to launch Everything with "-read-only" does nothing?

EDIT: It appears Everything is just taking a very long time to start like this. I see in the task manager it is running and consuming more and more memory. I will give it a bit.
Explain that?
If I have a blank "H:\" drive mounted, the database would update to reflect that. There would be no more files for "H:\" in the index, right?
Make backups of your / any existing .db files (Everything.db, typically).
I have, but I won't know if it's enough until I can export the "H:\" drive.

EDIT2: I have disabled "Automatically remove offline volumes" however I do not see anything for my "H:\" drive.

EDIT3: Oh... I needed "Automatically remove offline volumes" disabled before my drive wiped. I suppose the residual files I see that were in the "H:\" drive with a hex editor in the database is just uncollected garbage. Dang...
Last edited by biggestsonicfan on Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Post by therube »

EDIT3: Oh... I needed "Automatically remove offline volumes" disabled before my drive wiped. I suppose the residual files I see that were in the "H:\" drive with a hex editor in the database ...
If you were able to find, gather, get, unerase, some (valid) version of the .db - during a time that H:'s contents were listed in it...
biggestsonicfan

therube wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:54 pm
EDIT3: Oh... I needed "Automatically remove offline volumes" disabled before my drive wiped. I suppose the residual files I see that were in the "H:\" drive with a hex editor in the database ...
If you were able to find, gather, get, unerase, some (valid) version of the .db - during a time that H:'s contents were listed in it...
Sadly that won't be possible. I was unaware the index wasn't cached if a volume went offline.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything will overwrite your Everything.db on exit.

To convert an Everything.db to an EFU file (readable CSV):
db2efu

Everything 1.5 will automatically create a .backup.db file.