QNAP qsirch now provides Full-text search directly within Windows File Explorer

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
mj6jl5lk6j6

Post by mj6jl5lk6j6 »

I don't understand the mechanics (e.g. where is the index actually stored and how does Windows include said index for searching); but if Windows can use the qsirch index, is there a way for Everything to also do so?
NotNull

Re: QNAP qsirch now provides Full-text search directly within Windows File Explorer

Post by NotNull »

mj6jl5lk6j6 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:13 pm but if Windows can use the qsirch index, is there a way for Everything to also do so?
It looks like it: there is an API to "talk to" the Qsirch running on the NAS.

For those that have Qsirch installed on their NAS: the API is available at http://IP:PORT/qsirch/latest/api
(where IP and PORT have to be replaced with the actual IP-address and port of your QNAP NAS)

Note: I don't know if the API is available in the Lite version as well as the 'Qsirch for NAS' edition.
The latter one is free for now, but that changes in 2023: 299$ :shock:
2022-11-05 21_47_05-NAS — Mozilla Firefox.png
2022-11-05 21_47_05-NAS — Mozilla Firefox.png (24.08 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
mj6jl5lk6j6

Re: QNAP qsirch now provides Full-text search directly within Windows File Explorer

Post by mj6jl5lk6j6 »

Thanks for finding out that info about the API.

Without installing anything on my PC, I'm able to use the Windows File Explorer Search Box and search the NAS, so unless Qisirch has written their API to be compliant to some Windows Search standard, I'm clueless how this is working.

Opening up the same URL in Everything shows no files listed. I understand that Everything gets file info from the NTFS MFT and content info from Microsoft Search Indexing, so I believe that info is not available to Everything through SMB to the NAS (which is not using NTFS). I'm not seeing a way to configure Everything to use the Qsirch index like File Explorer is doing... and again, neither Windows nor File Explorer needed any configuring to utilize the Qsirch index.
Attachments
search_1.png
search_1.png (89.63 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try the si: search function in Everything 1.5:

Please make sure you are indexing your NAS:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Folders tab.
  • Click Add....
  • Select your \\server\share and click OK.
    (using a mapped network drive should also work)
  • Click OK.
mj6jl5lk6j6

Post by mj6jl5lk6j6 »

Thanks -

I added the NAS share to Everything>Tools>Options>Folders (the standard way I've previously indexed remote shares)

>> Please try the si: search function
That didn't work; it returned 0 objects (I'm using 1.5).

I tried "\\tvs872x\home tvs" and "\\tvs872x\home content:tvs" which worked fine, but I believe this is standard Everything behavior and has nothing to do with the Qsirch index; I even disabled Qsirch to confirm that Everything behaved the same.

Was the hope that the system-index Search Function would use the Qsirch index since Windows File Explorer is?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Basically, si: will search your system index, similar to how the search works in Windows Explorer.

The hope was this would also query your QNAP qsirch.

Unfortunately, it looks like si: is only searching the Windows index.

I have put on my TODO list to add support for QNAP qsirch.
Thank you for the suggestion.
mj6jl5lk6j6

Post by mj6jl5lk6j6 »

Wow - that would be great! And thanks for the lightning-quick responses --
mj6jl5lk6j6

Post by mj6jl5lk6j6 »

mj6jl5lk6j6 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:13 pm ...
I don't understand the mechanics (e.g. where is the index actually stored and how does Windows include said index for searching)...
Seems the mechanics are:
WSP uses the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol which allows a client to issue queries to a server hosting a Generic Search service (GSS). The protocol is primarily intended to be used for full-text queries.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the link.

I have put on my TODO list to add support for GSS.
mj6jl5lk6j6

Post by mj6jl5lk6j6 »

Hi - Wondering if you've had a chance to look into adding support for GSS?