After switching from x86 to x64, Everything no longer remembers offline volumes

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
NicholasAL

After switching from x86 to x64, Everything no longer remembers offline volumes

Post by NicholasAL »

Per this response, I switched from Everything 1.5 x86 to x64, which fixed the out of memory error. However, this also seems to have done away with one of the most personally useful functions of Everything to me: I have four somewhat haphazardly organized external hard drives and used it to keep track of what files were located where. Previously whenever I closed Everything and started it again the offline drives would continue to have their contents listed (though not updated if they weren't plugged in). This is no longer the case - Everything now only indexes whatever's online at the time it starts and has no memory of before. I tried searching around to see if there was an option I was missing, or if this was a known difference between the versions, but I couldn't find anything.
void
Developer

Re: After switching from x86 to x64, Everything no longer remembers offline volumes

Post by void »

To keep offline volumes in your index:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Automatically remove offline volumes.
  • Click OK.
NicholasAL

Re: After switching from x86 to x64, Everything no longer remembers offline volumes

Post by NicholasAL »

That's one of the first things I looked at: it is not checked.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly:
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Click OK.

Please make sure your %LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything\Everything.db is not set to read-only.
NicholasAL

Post by NicholasAL »

Again, one of the first things I looked at. It is checked, and the database file is not set to read only.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Have you changed your database location under Tools -> Options -> Indexes -> Database location?

Could you please send your Help -> Troubleshooting information.
NicholasAL

Post by NicholasAL »

void wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:21 am Have you changed your database location under Tools -> Options -> Indexes -> Database location?
No.
void wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:21 am Could you please send your Help -> Troubleshooting information.
Everything: 1.5.0.1383a (x64)
Admin: 0
Service: 1 (connected / installed and running)
Command line:
Binary: C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe
Profile: C:\Users\nq029\AppData\Roaming\Everything\Everything-1.5a.ini
Database: C:\Users\nq029\AppData\Local\Everything\Everything-1.5a.db
Instance: 1.5a
Config: highlight_max_or_paths=256
Config: auto_remove_offline_ntfs_volumes=0
Config: set_foreground_window_attach_thread_input=0
Config: folder_rescan_timeout=300000
Config: context_menu_parent_folder=4
Config: filter=EVERYTHING
Config: columns=[{"name":"Name","width":755},{"name":"Path","width":444},{"name":"Size","width":78},{"name":"Date Modified","width":110},{"name":"Type","width":60},{"name":"Length","width":54}]
Config: ntfs_volumes=[{"path":"C:","volume_name":"\\\\?\\Volume{...a7}"},{"path":"D:","volume_name":"\\\\?\\Volume{...2a}"},{"path":"E:","volume_name":"\\\\?\\Volume{...8b}"}]

I actually tried checking and then unchecking "Automatically remove offline volumes" to see if it would help. It didn't.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the troubleshooting information.

Are the offline volumes NTFS or FAT?

To keep offline FAT volumes in your index:
  • Click the FAT tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Automatically remove offline volumes.
  • Click OK.

You will need to bring these volumes online again so Everything can reindex them.

If Everything is still forgetting them, could you please send your Tools -> Debug -> Statistics -> Last Rebuild Reason
NicholasAL

Post by NicholasAL »

I'm actually wondering if I might have figured this out just now: I've been closing Everything by manually using the "End task" option in my Windows task manager to ensure it doesn't just stay running in the background. I just realized that the Exit option on Everything itself does the same thing - and when I do that it does seem to remember the offline volumes.
void
Developer

Post by void »

To disable run in background:
  • Click the UI tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Run in background.
  • Click OK.
Closing the last Everything window will now exit Everything.
End Task in the Task Manager is the same as closing the window.
therube

Post by therube »

End Task in the Task Manager is the same as closing the window.
Say that again?
So a (Windows Task Manager) End Task (is a "clean" End) is different from a Kill (kill -9, kind of thing)?

Or are you saying that even though you physically killed the GUI (via End Task) it still exits "gracefully" when 'Run in background' is unchecked?
void
Developer

Post by void »

End Task in the Task Manager calls EndTask().

EndTask() closes the window.
If the window doesn't respond the process is killed.

So End Task in the Task Manager will try to cleaning close the window first.

End Process in the Task Manager will kill the process out right.
Changes to settings and data will be lost if the process is terminated.