not seeing files in a big folder

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Graham

not seeing files in a big folder

Post by Graham »

Version 1.4.1.1026 (x64)

I've a 370 GB folder with 433 files in 233 folders on my (internal) E: dive. Everything does not seem to be indexing it. I copied a test file to the problem folder and to E:\ . Everything finds the version in E\ but not the version on the folder. I've tried restarting and reindexing Everything, and renaming the folder, with no luck. The E: disk is 1.8 TB and contains a lot of files (maybe 200,000). Windows Search finds both files (eventually!), as does WizTree (fast). Is this simply a size issue?

Best wishes, Graham
void
Developer

Re: not seeing files in a big folder

Post by void »

The size doesn't matter to Everything.

Please make sure Everything is installed correctly and running as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Check Everything Service. (Please make sure this is tick-checked and not square-checked)
  • Click OK.
  • Exit Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Restart Everything.

Are you excluding any files in Everything under Tools -> Options -> Exclude?
-Please make sure Exclude hidden files and folders is unchecked.
-Please make sure Exclude system files and folders is unchecked.

Do you have an active filter hiding these files?
-Please make sure the Everything filter is active under the Search menu.

Please make sure no search options are checked under the Search menu (eg: uncheck match case, uncheck match whole words, uncheck regex)

Please check your drive for errors:
  • Please backup anything important on your drive before checking it for errors.
  • In Windows Explorer, right click your drive and click Properties.
  • Click the Tools tab.
  • Click Check now...
  • Click Start
  • If prompted to schedule a scan on the next restart, click Yes.
Please try forcing a rebuild after checking for errors:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.

Are the files in folder junctions?
-Everything does not follow folder junctions.
Graham

Re: not seeing files in a big folder

Post by Graham »

Thanks for the reply. The exclude list was blank, but "Enable exclude list" was checked, so I unchecked it. Also, the problem folder was the only one on the drive optimised for "Video" in the Windows folder custom properties, so I set this to "General". On rebuilding Everything, the previously missing files now showed up, so success.

As a test, I reverted to the original state, that is I rechecked "Enable exclude list", and reset the folder properties to optimised for "video", restarted Everything and forced a rebuild. Now the files also show up, despite this being the same state that everything was in when files were missing.

I had tried Everything restarts and forcing database rebuilds before, so I don't think that the rebuild was the fix in itself, so it's a bit of a mystery. Anyway, thanks for your help (and this great App!)