BUG REPORT: lingering open file handles

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
kyle

BUG REPORT: lingering open file handles

Post by kyle »

BUG REPORT:

Everything64.exe (the desktop process, not the service) occasionally holds on to file handles indefinitely. I can still read those files, but I cannot edit the contents, rename the file, add/remove/edit properties, etc. I have to terminate the Everything64.exe process because it will not release the handles on its own. This behavior has been happening for a while now. I notice it most often with photos.

I checked one of the handles (using System Informer) and found this information associated with the handle:
Granted Access = "0x120089 (Read)"
Type = "File"
Mode = "0x20 (Synchronous non-alert)"

I'm running Windows 11 Pro 23H2 22631.3958 and Everything 1.5a Version 1.5.0.1383a (x64). The service runs as the "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" user, and the desktop app runs as my logged on user.

EDIT:
When I open a jpg file with Directory Opus image viewer, both Directory Opus **AND** Everything have open handles to the file. If I try to edit metadata, the operation fails. I noticed in ProcMon that dopus.exe gets "FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS" on a "CreateFileMapping" operation.
If I then close Directory Opus and terminate all of its related processes, Everything still maintains the handles. If I open File Explorer, navigate the folder with the file, right click on the file, select properties and click on the Details tab and then try to set the star rating, ProcMon shows "SHARING VIOLATION" on a CreateFile operation.
The fact that it happens with both Directory Opus and File Explorer makes me think it's a bug with Everything. It would be super cool if you could fix this! :)
kyle

Re: BUG REPORT: lingering open file handles

Post by kyle »

Stand down. I dug into it more and was able to track it down to a shell extension property handler that I had installed. After removing it, the problem has gone away. Apologies for the false alarm.
anmac1789

Re: BUG REPORT: lingering open file handles

Post by anmac1789 »

what was the shell extension ?