Retrieve the filetime from Index Journal + questioning modify times + force save without exit

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Herkules97

Retrieve the filetime from Index Journal + questioning modify times + force save without exit

Post by Herkules97 »

Made a more informative title..Seems like more work for everyone to make a separate post for each where you have to keep track of 3 individually instead of consolidating them. But you could always note if it should've been done anyway.

How to export the filetime from the index journal? I wish there was a way to read the contents more raw like it's possible with sqlite databases using something like DB Browser for SQLite instead of having to do it all within the program that may not support x, y or z feature yet for seeing the data there, if it ever supports something obscure I am looking for. Like seeing the filetimes inside index journal, maybe as their own columns. I presume those entries have filetime because they go down to the 6 last numbers.

Anyway, I can export the time just fine from the main db, but if a file is removed and I want to retrieve the timestamp I'm not sure how as it no longer exists in the main db.

I also found this thing that claims it can modify timestamps. Does this work with filetime?
Does it work with normal time too? Down to seconds like Bulk Rename Utility or further? Let's say if I have an export that only has down to the last 6 numbers in normal time format but I no longer have the full filetime..Unless the last 6 numbers IS the whole filetime in normal format. I'm not sure, when I tried looking it up it seemed like there is a lot more than just 6 last numbers after seconds but I may just be near braindead.

And thirdly, this is just because I got a BSOD recently but could a button be made or is there one to save without exiting? It is much smoother to keep the program running and it saving when I want it to. The 24 hour interval can still stay on and when I am uncertain about a situation I can force a newer save just in case. Maybe I would've lost 1 hour of index journal entries instead of 12 :)
Maybe you can do it like foobar 1.x and require shift to see the button in a menu, foobar keeps it in the file menu. They keep the reset button right above that, I wonder if it has a prompt..
therube

Re: Retrieve the filetime from Index Journal + questioning modify times + force save without exit

Post by therube »

is there one to save without exiting?
-save-db

So something like,
Everything.exe -instance 1.5a -save-db

(You'll have to give it a moment till it finishes writing the files to disk.)
void
Developer

Re: Retrieve the filetime from Index Journal + questioning modify times + force save without exit

Post by void »

How to export the filetime from the index journal?
Currently, Everything only exports the date and time in seconds.

100 nanoseconds resolution timestamps are used internally.
I will look into an option to export this information.

I also found this thing that claims it can modify timestamps. Does this work with filetime?
Everything can change file timestamps from Edit -> Advanced -> Set File Time.
Localized date strings, ISO8601 and raw FILETIMEs are supported.
All support 100 nanosecond resolution.

eg: 2024-08-20T08:49:51.0123456

And thirdly, this is just because I got a BSOD recently but could a button be made or is there one to save without exiting?
To create a bookmark to save your index to disk:
  • In Everything, from the Bookmarks menu, click Add to Bookmarks....
  • Change the Name to: Save DB
  • Change the Search to: /save-db
  • Click OK.
Auto save advanced settings
-save-db
-save-db-now
/save-db
/save-db-now
Herkules97

Post by Herkules97 »

void wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:20 pm To create a bookmark to save your index to disk:
  • In Everything, from the Bookmarks menu, click Add to Bookmarks....
  • Change the Name to: Save DB
  • Change the Search to: /save-db
  • Click OK.
So I found save-db inside "Command Line Options", are there more interactions like that where you can run certain commands inside EBV but with a specific prefix? Or is it just command line stuff when it's prefixed with /?

Also just wondering if there is anywhere in the program it says that you can use console commands, it should be inside the command line options page at the top. Like "Some or all of these can be run inside the program too, use / before any command to do so".
Doesn't seem like it's in any of the local pages, like the above one, "Search Syntax" and "Regular Expression Syntax".

I realised monitor_pause is a thing. The console command page only says monitor-page. If you ever get to changing those pages, maybe something could also be added near the top to indicate which symbols can be used as synonyms. Or not, it's not necessarily useful.
Herkules97

Post by Herkules97 »

therube wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:48 pm
is there one to save without exiting?
-save-db

So something like,
Everything.exe -instance 1.5a -save-db

(You'll have to give it a moment till it finishes writing the files to disk.)
Looks like it works, do you know a way to prevent a window from opening every time?
I was thinking of -silent but that seems to be for installing and I don't want it messing something up by using that.

Nevermind, I soon after saw -close and it worked.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

force save without exit
- Type or paste the following in the search bar:

Code: Select all

/exit-now
- Press ENTER

This will exit Everything without saving settings and data.
Instead of /exit-now, you can also use its alias /quit-now
Herkules97

Post by Herkules97 »

NotNull wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:34 pm
force save without exit
- Type or paste the following in the search bar:

Code: Select all

/exit-now
- Press ENTER

This will exit Everything without saving settings and data.
Instead of /exit-now, you can also use its alias /quit-now
I think you misread it, it's not force exit without save, it's force save without exit :)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I think you are right! Sorry ..