Searching for items in archive files

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Searching for items in archive files

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Is there a way to find both some particularly named file, some particularly named folder and / or [inclusively] some particularly named item - all of them being stored within an archive file? And furthermore: being extra hidden within an archive in archive?

I already have A-OK working 3 related Bookmarks [for finding archives using Everything's default ones, archives in archives based on a list of archives' extensions and finding archives in archives based on a Filter] plus 2 Filters [for finding all possible archives and a second for the most common ones - but they do not cover this particular task of finding of e.g.

test.pdf

file or just

test

folder or [at the same time] file or folder named

test

So can anyone help me with enlighten me on this topic?
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
void
Developer

Re: Searching for items in archive files

Post by void »

I'm not 100% sure on what you are trying to do..

To search for filenames inside archive files, include the following in your search:

container-filename:test

container-filename:
Thy Grand Voidinesss

I need to be able to find specific / some / all of archive files that are present in archives - e.g.

Code: Select all

test a.zip
kept in

test b.rar
but assuming that I have no idea that there is any ZIP files present in any of my RAR files
void
Developer

Post by void »

*.rar containerfilename:*.zip
Thy Grand Voidinesss

OK, this works for a very specific [i.e. precise] search

But how to look for at the same time for all potential archives in all archives? I have a Filter within which Search field I had listed all extensions - and it does work. But after setting up a name for it its Macro field and then using it in the Search field of Bookmark [as a Custom one] it does not - i.e. it only shows [as I reckon] those select few that are included in the

containerfilename:
command
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Post by void »

zip: containerfilename:zip:

zip: expands to:

ext:7z;ace;arj;bz2;cab;gz;gzip;jar;r00;r01;r02;r03;r04;r05;r06;r07;r08;r09;r10;r11;r12;r13;r14;r15;r16;r17;r18;r19;r20;r21;r22;r23;r24;r25;r26;r27;r28;r29;rar;tar;tgz;z;zip

Alternatively:
ext:zip;rar;7z containerfilename:ext:zip;rar;7z
Thy Grand Voidinesss

void wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:56 am
zip: containerfilename:zip:

[...]
This was doing absolutely nothing in my Everything 1.5.0.1378a x64 Portable - but in version 1.5.0.1383a x64 Portable the Progress Bar shows dong something but it is taking forever [so for now I do not know if it is plain stuck or trying to finish indexing my almost 12 000 000 files]

void wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:56 am Alternatively:
This however seems to work

And so it seems that I would have to list every possible archive extension twice in this filtering expression? Will Everything be able to handle such [maybe not complex but surely] multi-leveled burden?
void
Developer

Post by void »

This was doing absolutely nothing in my Everything 1.5.0.1378a x64 Portable - but in version 1.5.0.1383a x64 Portable the Progress Bar shows dong something but it is taking forever [so for now I do not know if it is plain stuck or trying to finish indexing my almost 12 000 000 files]
Have you changed your compressed filter under Search -> Organize Filters -> Compressed -> Edit?
What is shown for this filter search?
(zip: will expand to this search -The above containerfilename:zip: search will only work if this filters search is a simple ext: search)

And so it seems that I would have to list every possible archive extension twice in this filtering expression? Will Everything be able to handle such [maybe not complex but surely] multi-leveled burden?
I am not quite sure what you are trying to do.
Do you want to match docx, xlsx files too? docx and xlsx are also technically archive files.

You can omit the first ext: and just do a containerfilename:ext:zip;rar;7z search.
This will take a very long time.
containerfilename: can match any file type that contains zip data.

For the best results, specify exactly what you want with:

Please consider making a short macro to avoid typing the ext list twice:
From the Search menu, click Add to filters....
Change the Name to: Zip in Zip
Change the Search to:
ext:$param: containerfilename:ext:$param:

Change the Macro to: zipinzip
Click OK.
Now you can search for zipinzip:zip;rar;7z
which will automatically expand to: ext:zip;rar;7z containerfilename:ext:zip;rar;7z
Thy Grand Voidinesss

void wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:44 am Have you changed your compressed filter under Search -> Organize Filters -> Compressed -> Edit?
What is shown for this filter search?
[...]
I have got rid of it entirely a long time ago

void wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:44 am I am not quite sure what you are trying to do.
I would like to have a convenient way of finding anything named

test
that happens to be in any kind of archive and also in an archive that happens to be within an archive; and in archive that happens to be within an archive that also happens to be within an archive and so on