Advanced Rename

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
eswul62

Re: Advanced Rename

Post by eswul62 »

I love this Rename tool!
Renaming files accross drives/partitions in a few clicks.
The traditional renaming tools you often need to click-click-browse-click...select..click
Ralf_Reddings

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

I have been using the advanced rename dialog and I really like, especially how it can be accessed independent of Everything.

I have some suggestions to share on how it could be improved.

PS: Pardon my bad attempts are photoshopping my example images.

Use a details view control to display both "old" and "new" file names
This would have a number of benefits such as being able to see each item in its context. What file type it is, its parent etc:

Currently both of "old" and "new" names are just text boxes, consisting of the file names. and its not possible to tell where these files/folders lay in (their drives, parent etc).

Everything other than the name can be greyed out, so as to indicate its just there for context and cant be changed

Allow the two main panes to be resizable
There are times when you you need to focus more on the "new names" panes, so as to fit more items on the window or vice versa. Being able to drag by the red line and to resize both panes would be useful:
void
Developer

Post by void »

I will consider a detailed view for the old and new filenames.

highlighting matches and replacements is on my TODO list.

I will consider checkboxes to disable renaming an item.
For now, you can set the filename to an empty line.

I will consider a divider to allowing resizing of the old and new panes.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Ralf_Reddings

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

cheers void! thats great to hear.
SinChu

Post by SinChu »

Is it possible to set presets with the standalone feature without searching ?
When using search we can create/edit presets. If not searching the presets are greyed out.

thanks
void
Developer

Post by void »

Presets can only be created and modified from the GUI advanced rename.

The -rename command line version does not support creating and modifying presets yet..
I will consider adding support to do this in a future version.

Thank you for the suggestion.
therube

Post by therube »

(Well, you can hack it ;-). You can modify Everything.ini directly.

And for -rename command-line, Everything.ini need only have something like:

Code: Select all

; Please make sure Everything is not running before modifying this file.
[Everything]
rename_ignore_extension=1
rename_old_format_history=%1 - %2;%1-%2;%1
rename_new_format_history=%2 - %1;%2-%1;%1   dupme
Now - in my case, I use a stand-alone instance of Everything when I rename from command-line, so the above wouldn't work (too well) if you were using a single instance.)

Actually, I use this, egor.bat (kind of like EverythingGoRename), with Everything.exe & Everything_Rename.ini in its' own directory:

Code: Select all

:: Everything Rename "stand-alone" or "SendTo" or ...

:: Requires >= Everything 1.4.1.791
:: Requires a minimum of 2 files
:: Might run into an ~2048 command line character length limitation
:: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3205027/maximum-length-of-command-line-string

:: SjB 11/04/2016

:: EGO_R_15.BAT (Everything Go _ RENAME) - 1.5 beta version
:: From a command prompt, open an Everything RENAME window, with the files in the current directory, or an (optional) search term:
:: SjB 12/01/2021

:: ... there are quirks here... will have to see how it plays out...

SET DIR=C:\DEV\Locate\Everything_Rename

:: cd %cd%
:: pwd
:: echo ----
:: echo %1
:: echo %*

:: pause

if [%1]==[] goto renameall:

START  %dir%\Everything.exe  -config %dir%\Everything_Rename.ini  -rename  "%cd%\%*"*

:: having the second **, adds a "physical" * to the list
:: so 'egor a', will find a, ab, abc
:: without that, 'egor a', would only find a
:: IOW, by including the second * here, you don't have to put that in at the command line
:: so 'egor a', meaning a*, rather then having to enter 'egor a*'

:: thinking i'm going to revert that & if you're forced to manually type a *, so be it...

goto end:

:renameall
START  %dir%\Everything.exe  -config %dir%\Everything_Rename.ini  -rename  "%cd%\*"

:end
SET DIR=

:: -rename %*, has to be the last parameter
:: you could use an -instance name (which i'll suppose) would then pick up on an existing INSTANCE.ini (so no need for -config)
:: you can actually leave out -config, & with no -instance, then, simply the "default" .ini name is used, Everything-1.5a.ini
SinChu

Post by SinChu »

Thank you
bat file works great ! but resets still greyed out cannot create or edit.
probably my fault, missing something

thanks again
Last edited by SinChu on Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
therube

Post by therube »

what i did at the time (& the time was before Presets)
is that i simply set (hardcoded) the rename (old/new dropdown) "history"
to act as my "Presets"

> rename_old_format_history=%1 - %2;%1-%2;%1
> rename_new_format_history=%2 - %1;%2-%1;%1 dupme

old & new are simply semicolon (;) deliminated data pairs
so my history (above) has 2 sets of "Presets"

similar can (now) be done with (actual) Presets (which can offer additional functionality)

> rename_presets=[{"name":"dupME","old_format":"%1","new_format":"%1 dupme","case":0,"diacritics":0,"regex":0,"ignore_extension":1},{"name":"FlIPPeR","old_format":"%1 - %2","new_format":"%2 - %1","case":0,"diacritics":0,"regex":0,"ignore_extension":1}]

& no, when done this way, with -rename, you cannot (through the GUI) add/change Presets,
though (after Quitting Everything) you can manually edit config.ini, the rename_presets "string"
(& yes, there is a "structure" to that)

also note:
there is no "undo" when done this way
this is intended to rename files* (see below) in a single (if you will) directory, the directory you've run the .bat file from
subdirectory names (to the current directory, not subdirectory contents, but subdirectory name itself) unless filtered out, are also subject to be renamed
there could be other gottcha's ;-)
SinChu

Post by SinChu »

many thanks for the info
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:57 amThe keyboard shortcut would work from the main search window on the current selection.
I absolutely HATE it when the Monday of as long weekend is WRECKED by my playing with a new (to me!) feature. I have knocked myself silly with
Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y (which I have known since I was yay-high) as applied to the Advanced Rename. :twisted:
UndoRedo.jpg
UndoRedo.jpg (159.3 KiB) Viewed 691 times
It is with great trepidation that I ask "Where did that %2 come from?"

I could play around for yet another two hours, but I was supposed to be outside thinning out beetroots two hours ago.

I would be happy with a mild assurance that "Everything keeps track, a sort of log, of changes, re-changes made to the files selected in the main window" or such like, as long as you-all expect this %2 creature. (I once developed a Undo/Redo on GUI forms, so I can identify with a logging record of transactions on VBA objects such as GUI forms)

If on the other hand if it is some sort of bug, then please let me know, and I will attempt to reproduce it with appropriate debugging data.
Thanks, I think (grin!) Chris
crimzind

Post by crimzind »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:14 am
void wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:57 amThe keyboard shortcut would work from the main search window on the current selection.
I absolutely HATE it when the Monday of as long weekend is WRECKED by my playing with a new (to me!) feature. I have knocked myself silly with
Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y (which I have known since I was yay-high) as applied to the Advanced Rename. :twisted: UndoRedo.jpg

I could play around for yet another two hours, but I was supposed to be outside thinning out beetroots two hours ago.

I would be happy with a mild assurance that "Everything keeps track, a sort of log, of changes, re-changes made to the files selected in the main window" or such like, as long as you-all expect this %2 creature. (I once developed a Undo/Redo on GUI forms, so I can identify with a logging record of transactions on VBA objects such as GUI forms)

If on the other hand if it is some sort of bug, then please let me know, and I will attempt to reproduce it with appropriate debugging data.
Thanks, I think (grin!) Chris
It's the same reason there's a %1 before it. The numbers between the _ and file extension are not the same, and it has recognized a pattern. It's assigned that pattern the %2 identifier, so that you can manipulate that group of characters or preserve them while you make changes to other parts of the file name(s). I hope that makes sense. My understanding of it, at least, someone might be able to explain it better. :)
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

crimzind wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:06 pm
ChrisGreaves wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:14 amIt is with great trepidation that I ask "Where did that %2 come from?"
... The numbers between the _ and file extension are not the same, and it has recognized a pattern.
crimzind thank you.
Had you replied to my post before I'd posted it (grin) I'd have said that:-
UndoRedo.jpg
UndoRedo.jpg (21.27 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Everything examines and parses the file names and
has recognized a set of identical strings (20240830) and a set of non-identical strings (e.g. 110132)
and has assigned names to each of these two distinguished sets.

That makes sense to me.
Thanks, Chris.
P.S. I still hate it, mildly, when Void anticipates my every need before I am even aware of a command! C
crimzind

Post by crimzind »

I could have been clearer. I meant after the 2nd _, btw. It sees two sections where it can see a pattern. In the previous screenshot, the dates listed include the 30th and 31st. Because only the last digit is different, it assigned it to %1. Because all the numbers after the 2nd _ are different, that entire section is %2.
Last edited by crimzind on Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:23 amWith the Everything Advanced Renamer you can:
Hi Void. Might we add to this impressive list a line that indicates "Undo/Redo facility"?

I understand that Undo/Redo are generally applicable to several (many? all?) features of manipulation within Everything, but I think it worth while reminding us-novices to make use of them.

As a novice user of Everything Advanced Renamer I found that Ctrl+Z/Y were MIGHTY helpful in permitting me to make learning mistakes without having to reload the Result List after each attempt.
Thanks, Chris
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything sees two patterns, %1 matches the first variable and %2 matches the second variable.

Hi Void. Might we add to this impressive list a line that indicates "Undo/Redo facility"?
Undo/Redo is available for the advanced renamer under the main search window -> Edit -> Undo/Redo/Undo History.
Ctrl + Z/Y will also work from the main search window.