Start everything with keyword

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Skodd

Start everything with keyword

Post by Skodd »

Is there a way to start everything with a predefined keyword but WITHOUT having it in the text area?

For example, I want to search all files in parent folder bob12313 (parent:bob12313) but I don't want to see parent:bob12313 in the text area. I still want to be able to use the text are for example to precise that I want all files with the zip (ext:zip) extension so basically "parent:bob12313 ext:zip" but without seeing parent:bob12313 in the text area.
void
Developer

Re: Start everything with keyword

Post by void »

Is the hidden search always the same?
-If so, please consider a filter:
Search -> Add to filters....
Everything.exe -filter "my filter name"

I have on my TODO list to add a hidden search option.
Skodd

Post by Skodd »

thanks, for the workaround but no it's not the same so I won't be using that as it would be to slow to replace the "hidden search. "

The reason why I want this feature is to simply be faster when searching something in a particular folder. This way I can quickly alt+tab, CTRL+A and CTRL+V/or type to search what I want.

Versus right now where I have to alt+tab, then carefully select what I want with the mouse (while making sure to not delete what I want to keep, e.g. parent:bob12313 in my example) OR use CTRL+SHIFT+LEFTARROW to select (also while making sure to not delete parent:bob12313) what I want to replace with the clipboard or by typing.

I don't know if I saw it on another program but the reflex I had when looking for this option was by selecting "parent:bob12313" and I looked for "Stick" or something like "Pin", in that other program I dont remember, it would highlight "parent:bob12313 and make it undeletable unless DEL was used or if it was "unpinned" or unstuck" with a right click context menu item
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try searching for parent:bob12313 #clipboard:

Then all you need to do is copy the text from the other program, no need to paste.

I will consider a right click 'pin' option.
Thank you for the suggestion.