Is 1.5 is released? Latest Beta download Link?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
passionatedev2022

Post by passionatedev2022 »

Hi,

Thanks
NotNull

Re: Is 1.5 is released? Latest Beta download Link?

Post by NotNull »

The alpha version of Everything 1.5 is available for testing.
The latest version can be downloaded here
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

passionatedev2022 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:06 pmIs 1.5 is released? Latest Beta download Link?

(Piggybacking on an existing but recent topic)
Twelve months after buying a Win11 Laptop I began using it today. First task is, of course, to download and install Everything. I am NOT a new user of Everything, but I am pretending to be a new user because I need a "bootstrapping set" of utilities to get started on a new laptop (Everything, VeraCrypt, DuckDuckGo on Firefox, ...) while I migrate from my clapped-out DELL Win7 cripple.

(1) As a new user I see that 1.4.1.1024 is the currently supported version.
(2) As an enthusiastic veteran I know that Everything-1.5.0.1378a is the current Beta
(3) As an enthusiastic veteran I know too that many posts include a response to "try the latest 1.5 Beta; it will probably fix this up for you".

Too, I have a personal gripe (rare for me :twisted: ) that the wonderful new features of 1.5 have been around since, I think, Sat Mar 13, 2021, which is three years ago.

Might we have SOME clue on the downloads page that, just before the list of versions 1.4, provides a hint that many of us are wallowing happily in 1.5, and that, today, it might be a better starting point for novice users?

After all, a novice comes along, installs 1.4.1.1024, and on encountering a conundrum is told, in the nicest way "Oh! You should try installing 1.5".

Letting novices know, before they download 1.4, that 1.5 is viable might reduce frustrations for the novice and reduce the repetitive traffic in the forums.

I understand that Everything-1.5.0.1378a is a Beta version, but too I suspect that the bugs that are most likely to affect a novice have been wiped out for a long time; new bugs will occur to new features recently introduced to Everything, rather than the basic features a novice is likely to use.

Cheers, Chris
tuska

Post by tuska »

There is currently no Everything 1.5 beta version.

As already mentioned by NotNull, the latest Everything version is published here:
Everything 1.5 Alpha
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

2Chris
Version 1.5 is still Alpha, not Beta.
Nevertheless, I fully agree with you.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

tuska wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:38 pm There is currently no Everything 1.5 beta version.
As already mentioned by NotNull, the latest Everything version is published here:
Everything 1.5 Alpha
Thank you Tuska, and yes, I knew to go the pinned topic in the Everythinh1.5 forum.

But the novice arrives and clicks on "Downloads" and is NOT taken to the beta; they are taken to the 1.4 downloads pages.
Of course they download 1.4, install 1.4, and become familiar with 1.4 to the point where they run into a problem or suggest an enhancement, and are then advised to d/l 1.5.

I am suggesting that before the novice downloads 1.4 they are advised that there is a 1.5 version that will probably serve them better than the 1.4.

Thanks again
Chris
tuska

Post by tuska »

2ChrisGreaves

I understand everything you mean, but the version is still called "Alpha" and not "Beta":
ChrisGreaves wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:45 pm But the novice arrives and clicks on "Downloads" and is NOT taken to the beta ...
Furthermore, I also count myself among the users who immediately switched to the 1.5a version
and since then have only used the 1.4 version in very rare cases.

However, there are many users who for various reasons do not want to/may not use an alpha version
and for whom the beta version is the earliest they can consider using it.

My opinion on this topic is:
If someone is genuinely interested in 'Everything' and has taken a look at the forum overview,
then the first entry "Everything 1.5 Alpha" should not have escaped his attention.

PS: Personally, however, I only refer to the 1.5a version in forum posts for good reasons.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

ChrisGreaves wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:45 pm I am suggesting that before the novice downloads 1.4 they are advised that there is a 1.5 version that will probably serve them better than the 1.4.
Support+ !

Lots of people on these forums, even experienced ones, that had no idea of the existence of 1.5 ...
(Still not sure how people overlook the first listed forum, but that's how it is apparently)