best current way to find files in a folder, together with their duplicates in other locations

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
jimspoon

best current way to find files in a folder, together with their duplicates in other locations

Post by jimspoon »

OneDrive made a mess of my big OneDrive folder, adding files to catch-all folders that I had already moved to other locations. So now I want to find which files I had moved to better locations, and delete them from my "catch-all" folders. So I want to get a list of files in those folders, together with their duplicates (if any) in some other location. Then after verifying that they exist elsewhere, I want to delete the duplicates from the OneDrive catch-all folders. This used to be a rather complicated thing to do - (see Find dups in one folder against the rest of the PC - voidtools forum - viewtopic.php?p=46765). But I know that there have been big advancements in Everything 1.5's ability to find duplicate files, I just want to make sure I'm using the most efficient method.

As far I can figure, the best current way might be to
(1) use something like dupe:name or dupe:size to generate a list of all name-duplicates or size-duplicates in the index;
(2) maybe add to that search, the path I want to remove duplicates from, like "c:\users\jim\onedrive\downloads", to narrow that list to the duplcated files that are that path;
(3) Ctrl+A and Ctrl+Shift+C to copy the pathnames of those duplicated files;
(4) paste these paths into a file list like filelist1:;
(5) use namefilelist1: to find all files that have the same names as those in the file list, or sizefilelist1: to find all files that have the same sizes as those in the list.
(6) sort the files by name or size, browse through them, and delete the unnecessary duplicates in the catch-all folder.

Is this the best method or does Everything now offer a better method?