Search not showing folder contents correctly

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Suffstress

Search not showing folder contents correctly

Post by Suffstress »

For some reason on a fresh Windows install and a fresh install of Everything, it seems like Everything will only find files in certain subfolders by directly searching for them? Or something extremely weird like that.

For example, I have "C:\AMD\Chipset_Installer\Chipset.exe" as a folder path. If I search "amd chipset_installer", this folder nor the .exe within it show up, whereas if I search "chipset_installer" it does show up in the search results, but the .exe does not. If I then search for the .exe, that also shows up just fine.

Same applies for other locations, like "C:\Users\Username\Documents\Automobilista 2\screenshots". I can type "automobilista 2" to find that folder, and a sub-subfolder within it with the same name, but not the "screenshots" folder, or any other subfolders/files/etc.

Oddly enough, though, with this one I can even type "automobilista 2 s" and it shows the same results as "automobilista 2", but as soon as I type "automobilista 2 sc" nothing shows up at all. Directly searching "screenshots" will also show that folder, along with every other folder with the same name on my PC, but not the contents of them. Searching directly for a file within will also show that file

This also happens on my non-C drives

On my old Windows and Everything installs this did work, I could just type "automobilista 2 screenshots" and it would show that "C:\Users\Username\Documents\Automobilista 2\screenshots" folder in the list, and all the files contained within it below.

I've tried rebuilding the index several times, disabling the exclude list, manually adding the folder to the index, un-including and re-including the drives in the database, uninstalling and reinstalling Everything multiple times, including trying the 1.5 alpha version, ensuring my search is set to everything rather than specific types of files, etc. and nothing has made a difference. I'm at a loss and googling furiously hasn't helped at all and I'd love to know what the issue is because being forced to use Windows search at all is essentially torture
void
Developer

Re: Search not showing folder contents correctly

Post by void »

Enable Match Path under the Search menu.
Please uncheck all other options under the Search menu.

Please make sure the Everything filter is active under the Search menu.
Suffstress

Re: Search not showing folder contents correctly

Post by Suffstress »

void wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:08 am Enable Match Path under the Search menu.
Please uncheck all other options under the Search menu.

Please make sure the Everything filter is active under the Search menu.
Can't believe I googled through like 100 threads here and on Reddit and didn't see anyone mention this even when they had the same issue, but enabling Match Path fixed it. Weird because I'm 99% sure I never touched it in my old install, or if I somehow did it was by accident. Either way, I am no longer chained to the prison that is Windows search, so thanks!