inadvertent drag and drop of folder - how to find the relocated folder?

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
jimspoon

inadvertent drag and drop of folder - how to find the relocated folder?

Post by jimspoon »

I thought I had inadvertently dragged and dropped a folder so that it became the child of a sibling folder. But I didn't know which folder I dropped or which folder I dropped it into. Now that could be disastrous. So I thought, how can I figure out which folder I dropped and where I dropped it, so that I can move it back to where it was? After trying a few other things, in Everything I searched on "folder: sort:"date modified" sort-descending:" to see a list of the most recently modified folders. Browsing through this list, I didn't see a folder that might have been where I dropped another folder, so I figured that I didn't actually move a folder after all. At least I hope that's what that means.

But is there a better way to discover what folder might have been dropped into another folder, and what folder it was dropped into?
NotNull

Re: inadvertent drag and drop of folder - how to find the relocated folder?

Post by NotNull »

An off-topic discussion with an on-topic answer: Use Everything.

In Everything 1.5:
  • Menu => Index =>Index Journal
  • Set the Action dropdown menu to Folder Move
  • Find your folder
  • Select it
  • Press the Undo button.

Alternativve if you haven't done any other file manipulation after moving the folder:
- Start Explorer
- Press CTRL +Z
This will put the moved folder back in its original location.

There used to be an Explorer menu alternative for CTRL+Z (called Undo), but can't find it.
(I'm not very compatible with these ribbon-menus)
jimspoon

Post by jimspoon »

This is great! Thank you very much for pointing this out to me. I never noticed the Index > Index Journal option before. I'm wondering what span of time is covered by this - right now I'm seeing 1 hour and 9 minutes of actions when I have "All Actions" selected in the dropdown menu.
therube

Post by therube »

Browsing through this list, I didn't see a folder that might have been where I dropped another folder
What happens seems quirky depending on how you go about it (as far as Date Modified being touched, or not).

Appears that if you move a DIR from parent to child, child & the original DIR get touched.
But if you move DIR from parent to grandchild, parent to grandchild gets touched, but DIR does not.

Or something like that. In any case, it's odd.