Exif thumbnail metadata

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Exif thumbnail metadata

Post by meteorquake »

I couldn't see a column for this under Add Column..., so I'm guessing one could be added to go with the existing metadata columns. I'm not sure if there's a workaround.

I'm looking for a column that displays something about the embedded thumbnail of jpegs (by extension other formats could also be captured, but my interest is in jpegs) as I'm trying to search for which jpegs lack them.

I'm not sure what information is readily available regarding them; it may be that datalength, width, height, and some other things, are readily available, blank where absent, they would all serve my purpose and would likely prove interesting in their own right beyond existence/absence, I guess a column could be available for each quality...

David
therube

Re: Exif thumbnail metadata

Post by therube »

Appears that Windows Explorer may display embedded thumbs.
When Explorer wants to display a thumbnail for an image, it first checks whether the image comes with a precalculated thumbnail. If so, and the thumbnail is at least as large as the thumbnail Explorer wants to show, then Explorer will use the image-provided thumbnail instead of creating its own from scratch. If the thumbnail embeded in the image is wrong, then when Explorer displays the image-provided thumbnail, the result will be incorrect. Explorer has no idea that the image is lying to it.
https://irfanview-forum.de/forum/program/support/8592-

So Everything should be able to see them same.

But you're looking more to know of existence of, rather then the display of.

If Everything can't do that, I'd expect that ExifTool could?
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

well there's half a million images I need to check, which are a subset of the JPGs on the computer.
then I need to execute a rebuild of thumbnails when the jpg is above a certain size and the thumbnail needs building...
if that's something exiftool can make possible (I'll check).
d
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

I've added a request on XNViewMP to see if Pierre will add a conditional thumb rebuild where the thumbnail is absent or anomalous.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have put on my TODO list to add a Exif metadata property. (show all Exif properties)

Thank you for the suggestion.