Default view - Standard view

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
tuska

Default view - Standard view

Post by tuska »

Hi,

I have currently set up my STANDARD VIEW (Default view) as follows:
  1. Menu "Tools" > Options... > Home
    Columns:
    Name;Path;Extension;Size;Total Size;Date Modified;Date Created;Date Accessed;Title;Subject;Comment;Markierungen;Tags;Authors;File List Filename;Column A;Column B
    etc.

2. Bookmark: Search > Custom:

Code: Select all

/hide-preview
    /hide-folders-sidebar
    /hide-bookmarks-sidebar
    /hide-filters-sidebar
    /comment ALT+ENTER causes a line break; nop: can also be used for comments, e.g. in the name | https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68068#p68068

Filter: Everything; Columns: The same as listed under "Home"; Keyboard shortcut: ALT+Y

3. I have defined the columns and column widths as follows: /columns <property-list> | columns:
    (Monitor 24", Scaling size 125%, resolution 1920 x 1280 pixel (native screen resolution))

columns:[{"name":"Name","width":372},{"name":"Path","width":595},{"name":"Extension","width":74.375},{"name":"Size","width":74.375},{"name":"Total Size","width":89.25},{"name":"Date Modified","width":104.125},{"name":"Date Created","width":104.125},{"name":"Date Accessed","width":133.875},{"name":"Title","width":148.75},{"name":"Subject","width":148.75},{"name":"Comment","width":148.75},{"name":"Markierungen","width":148.75},{"name":"Tags","width":148.75},{"name":"Authors","width":148.75},{"name":"File List Filename","width":178.5},{"name":"Column A","width":133.875},{"name":"Column B","width":133.875}]
    columns:[{"name":"Name","width":372},{"name":"Path","width":595},{"name":"Extension","width":74.375},{"name":"Size","width":74.375},{"name":"Total Size","width":89.25},{"name":"Date Modified","width":104.125},{"name":"Date Created","width":104.125},{"name":"Date Accessed","width":133.875},{"name":"Title","width":148.75},{"name":"Subject","width":148.75},{"name":"Comment","width":148.75},{"name":"Markierungen","width":148.75},{"name":"Tags","width":148.75},{"name":"Authors","width":148.75},{"name":"File List Filename","width":178.5},{"name":"Column A","width":133.875},{"name":"Column B","width":133.875}] --- ... Example: 2.5 cm x 29.75 = Everything width: 74.375

Column name  Column widthEverything width:
    Name 12.5 cm372
    Path 20.1 cm595
    Extension 2.5 cm 74.375
    Size 2.5 cm 74.375
    Total Size 3.0 cm 89.25
    Date Modified 3.5 cm104.125
    Date Created 3.5 cm104.125
    Date Accessed 4.5 cm133.875
    Title 5.0 cm148.75
    Subject 5.0 cm148.75
    Comment 5.0 cm148.75
    Markierungen   1) 5.0 cm148.75
    Tags                 2) 5.0 cm148.75
    Authors 5.0 cm148.75
    File List Filename 6.0 cm178.50
    Column A 4.5 cm133.875
    Column B 4.5 cm133.875
1) Markierungen (Language: German ... means "Stichwörter" = "Keywords" in English): Same result as "Tags" exclusive keywords for PDF files
2) Tags: Keywords inclusive keywords for PDF files

My goal is to be able to change column widths as desired after starting 'Everything'.
I want to be able to restore the defined column widths and columns using the above bookmark (ALT+Y).

Unfortunately, adding the columns and column widths in the bookmark above did not help:
/columns:[{"name":"Name","width":372},{"name":"Path","width":595},...,{"name":"Column B","width":133.875}] ... <-- abbreviated representation
Reference: /columns <property-list>

Please help.

PS:
At the moment I can restore my column widths by copying the code under point 3. columns and column width
into the search box of 'Everything'.

Re: Default view - Standard view

Post by therube »

void
Developer

Post by void »

Unfortunately, adding the columns and column widths in the bookmark above did not help:
/columns:[{"name":"Name","width":372},{"name":"Path","width":595},...,{"name":"Column B","width":133.875}] ... <-- abbreviated representation
Reference: /columns <property-list>
Please try the following in your bookmark search:

/columns [{"name":"Name","width":372},{"name":"Path","width":595},...,{"name":"Column B","width":133.875}]

Note the space after /columns

Please make sure your bookmark columns is set to (No Change)
tuska

Post by tuska »

void wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:44 pm Please try the following in your bookmark search:
/columns [{"name":"Name","width":372},{"name":"Path","width":595},...,{"name":"Column B","width":133.875}]

Thank you, unfortunately this is not yet working [as expected].
  1. I use a bookmark (ALT+S) to change the column view to the following values (13 columns):
    Name;Path;Extension;Size;Total Size;Date Modified;Date Created;Date Accessed;Comment;Tags;File List Filename;Column A;Column B
  2. Then I try to restore my standard view (17 columns) with bookmark (ALT+Y):
    Name;Path;Extension;Size;Total Size;Date Modified;Date Created;Date Accessed;Title;Subject;Comment;Markierungen;Tags;Authors;File List Filename;Column A;Column B
  3. Result:
    The column view remains UNCHANGED, i.e. the columns from Bookmark (ALT+S) - (13 columns) remain available.

4. If I now change the value of "(No change)" in the bookmark (ALT+Y) in Columns and look at the columns now entered
    I notice that instead of my previous column names from Bookmarks (ALT+Y) - (17 columns)
    the column names of bookmarks (ALT+S) - (13 columns) are displayed.

I.e. the content of this bookmark (ALT+Y) has changed without my intervention(!)
    I have now deleted all self-defined columns in Columns under Bookmark (ALT+Y) and only selected "(No change)".
    See also the next point: "Filter" -> After using the bookmark (ALT+S) and then applying the filter
    the bookmark (ALT+Y) was again filled with column names(!).

5. Filter "Everything (Alt+X) nopreview: | Columns"
    By chance I realised that this filter can restore my standard view (ALT+Y) - (17 columns), exclusive of the column widths:

Filter
    Search:    nopreview:
    Columns: 14 columns
    Name;Path;Extension;Size;Total Size;Date Modified;Date Created;Date Accessed;Title;Subject;Tags;Comment;Authors;File List Filename

The columns of the bookmark (ALT+Y) and filter (ALT+X) were thus combined (I find this optimal).
    The "Search" field is different for bookmarks and filters.
    Perhaps the contents of the "Search" field could also be combined, because then the self-defined column widths could also be applied.
    ⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
  6. Home > Columns
    Furthermore, the column names of bookmark (ALT+S) - (13 columns) are displayed after closing 'Everything' and restarting it
    and NOT the columns defined in 'Everything' Options - 1.5.0.1383a (x64) > Home > Columns: (17 columns).
    Columns:

In my opinion, Home > Columns should always be accessed after a [re-]start of Everything, even if, for example,
    a bookmark that was last used was set to "(No change)" in Columns.

Exception: A setting in 'Everything' which overrules this rule (currently I am not aware of any).
    The setting -> Advanced > session_store_restore_on_first_new_window: true ... which after a restart of 'Everything'
    automatically restores the previous search query could be considered approximately as such an exception.
    ⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺
  7. Note on the use of a bookmark
    For columns based on bookmarks and home columns, which may only differ by a few columns it is currently not immediately possible
    to determine whether the standard view is switched on or whether a bookmark view is available.
    A) Here I would find it very helpful if, for example, a note could be displayed in the status bar, such as BOOKMARK for bookmarks.
        EDIT: I withdraw this proposal.
    B) Perhaps a hint would also be helpful here: Menu "View" > "Bookmarks" ...
        When using a bookmark, a filled circle could be displayed BEFORE the bookmark, for example.
Please check.
Thank you!

PS:
I sent you an email with settings files on 4 July.

2024-07-04_Everything Options 1.5a - Home_and_Bookmark (ALT - Y)_DEFAULT view.png
2024-07-04_Everything Options 1.5a - Home_and_Bookmark (ALT - Y)_DEFAULT view.png (129 KiB) Viewed 1137 times

EDIT: Point 7.A)
Last edited by tuska on Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuska

Post by tuska »

void wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:44 pm Please try the following in your bookmark search:
This point is not clear to me and I have tried to present my view on it.

2024-07-05_Testcases.png
2024-07-05_Testcases.png (67.29 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

The logic currently applied is consistent with my test results (for me the expected results!).

In my opinion, the "only" question at the moment is how to integrate this point in a bookmark:

Perhaps you could use a separate command - only for the definitions of column widths -
to avoid an effect on the (number of) columns used.

Example:

/columnswidth [{"Name":372},{"Path":595},{"Extension":74.375},...}]
void
Developer

Post by void »

The active filter columns will override your bookmark columns.

Please do not specify columns in your Everything filter.
Setting columns is fine for other temporary filters.

I recommend the following:
Set your Everything filter columns to (no change)
Set your view Alt + S bookmark columns to (no change)
Add a /columns search command to your Alt + S bookmark search.
Set your view Alt + Y bookmark columns to (no change)
Add a /columns search command to your Alt + Y bookmark search.

I will consider a /columnswidth search command.
Thank you for the suggestion.

If you want to quickly get the JSON array of column objects for the current columns:
  • In Everything, from the Help menu, click Troubleshooting Information.
  • The JSON array of column objects is shown under columns=
Note: The config uses columns= and search commands use /columns<space>
tuska

Post by tuska »

2void
Thanks for the information!

I am currently having problems understanding and using the topic and would like to try to review the topic again
once the following has been implemented:
void wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:29 am I will consider a /columnswidth search command.
Thank you for the suggestion.