Copy Property / Full Name

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Copy Property / Full Name

Post by meteorquake »

File - Copy Property
lacks Full Name and Path
It's available as Ctrl-Shift-C but I think should be on this menu too.
I think it could be provided as two entries -
Path with Name
"Path with Name"
(or some variant such as Full Name or Full Name with Path or Path\Name or Path & Name)
The second would put quotes around. Perhaps the same could be done for Name and for Path to surround by quotes (as "Name" and "Path"), as there's plenty of space on the menu.
David
void
Developer

Re: Copy Property / Full Name

Post by void »

Copy Full Path is listed directly under the File menu, just below the Copy Property menu item.

Are you hiding this menu item under Tools -> Options -> Context menu?
meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Ah yes I have hidden that, as context menus are excessively long.
But then I also have Copy Name and Copy Path hidden and I see they are happily showing under the File menu (sub menu of).
I think though that the need for quoted and unquoted forms to choose from would recommend it always being present whatever the context menu has.

That said the other way to do it is the "Advanced Copy..." idea where a popup asks for a template string, which it remembers the last few of for re-use and prefills with the last used.
So for example if the template you give is
"%n",
then it would concatenate all the file names as quote-surrounded and separated by commas, to the clipboard. That would give a trailing comma but that's easy to remove when you do the paste.
"%p%n",
would be similar but provide full names.
"%p"\t"%n"\t"%s"\n
would be a TSV of path, name and size, though obviously one could use the fuller names for the properties.

I'm thinking of these mostly because I'm often copying lists for various purposes although the exact format is very variable, as they may be pasted in JS, Sql, VB, PHP, spreadsheets, file open dialogs etc, I think my preference is probably for a popup template method.

David
void
Developer

Post by void »

meteorquake

Post by meteorquake »

Ah thank you, I didn't spot that, I bet that covers comprehensively what I'm after!
I'll try to digest it :)
Glancing at it, I suspect it may be good for considered setting up of bookmarks but complex to remember for adhoc cases, in which case there may still be a benefit in an additional simplified version of the template kind I mentioned that covers most simple cases of uses.
Many thanks, David
klark1kent

Post by klark1kent »

void wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:11 am /copy example

/copy
/copy-header
@void Do these options (/copy, etc) allow you to quickly submit that command to copy the file list contents based on the header that you've included? The reason that I ask is because I was searching the forum to determine if the ability to copy the actual header value by context menu. i.e. copying just the canonical name of the header versus the contents of the column the header represents. The reason I want to do this is I find I often have to go into Organize Bookmarks or Organize filters, or instead, right click search by the column header... in order to copy the header. which in the latter, triggers a change in my search but I don't necessarily want that, I want to insert the header into the search string in a formula or in a specific place.. yadda yadda.

For example right now I'm adding a custom column that will use an IF statement to determine if the date-modified is the same as the windows system property version of date. I can't remember the canonical name for date, and though it'd be useful if I could just copy the same text that would be inserted in the event I was searching by date, instead of inserting it at the end of the current search string.
void
Developer

Post by void »

@void Do these options (/copy, etc) allow you to quickly submit that command to copy the file list contents based on the header that you've included?
Yes, I recommend using /copy in a bookmark (don't type it directly in the search box)

If you just want to quickly copy all column headers and values use File -> Copy Properties -> Copy as TSV

The /copy-header command allows you to specify any header you like.
You will need to be careful so it matches the column values in your /copy

I will consider a column header -> right click -> Copy Canonical name option.
Thank you for the suggestion.

For now, as you are already doing, please right click the column header and click Organize Columns....
Press Ctrl + C (or right click -> Copy) to copy the canonical name(s).