Drag-drop scrolling-to-target enhancements

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
meteorquake

Drag-drop scrolling-to-target enhancements

Post by meteorquake »

I hope this is a no-brainer, if you have enough control over the widgets to do so...

When you drag and drop - either to a pane in the current tab or in a different tab or window - the target often isn't visible. Getting to it by hovering over the upper or lower edge feels a bit excruciating.

KEYBOARD - What would feel very natural is if the arrow up/down, page up/down keys were actioned over the result pane or folder bar whilst you are hovered over so you can bring the drop target into view by the keyboard. Page up/down and home/end would be particularly useful. Pressing alphabetic keys whilst hovering would jump to the position just as would happen normally, so pressing "wo" over the folder pane would jump to folder position wo (all while hovering).

MOUSE - I think in addition there could be a setting for the scroll speed that occurs when you meet the top/bottom of the result/folder tree panes such that the scroll speed relates to the horizontal position of the hovering item on the top/bottom edge of the target container, you could then speed it up and slow it by the mouse just by moving the hand horizontally. Two options could control this: (1) the scroll speed of hovering over the left extremity of the top/bottom edge and (2) the speed hovering over the right extremity, inbetween positions being interpolated linearly between those two values, the default would be having them the same (which could be indicated by -1 in the second setting). I think people who set these values would quickly get used to it and find it works well.

Cheers, David
void
Developer

Re: Drag-drop scrolling-to-target enhancements

Post by void »

Everything uses SHDoDragDrop to handle the drag-drop operation.
SHDoDragDrop eats all key presses and mouse clicks.

I will explore ways to scroll with arrow keys/page-up/page-down.
Thank you for the suggestion.

To set the auto scroll speed:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    auto
  • Select: auto_scroll_repeat_rate
  • Set the value to: 25 (lower is faster)
  • Click OK.
auto_scroll_repeat_rate

I use voidmouse to scroll.

Middle mouse button + mouse move.