Tabs

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
void
Developer

Re: Tabs

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1379a improves tabs.

Tabs can now be dragged outside of the window to create a new window.
Added right click -> "Reopen closed tab" context menu item.

Added -new-tab-position <0-based-insert-position> command line option to specify the position of new tabs.
For example:
Everything.exe -s foo -new-tab -new-tab-position 0

Dragging tabs to another window is still on my TODO list.
Tabs might have their own sidebar state in a future version.
For Everything 1.5, sidebars belong to the window.

Thank you for the suggestions.
JTB3

Post by JTB3 »

Nice additions, David!
After testing the new 'Tabs' features I noticed the following:
  • The 'Repoen Closed Tab' context menu item does not work (remains greyed out) after closing a tab(s).
  • Dragging tabs off: It would be nice if the new window would detach and move with the cursor once the drag leaves the tab bar (not having to move the cursor out of the main window entirely), OR if some type of 'overlay' would appear and move with the cursor indicating that the tab has been detached and is ready to drop.
Food for thought!
-JT ✨
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback JTB3,

The 'Repoen Closed Tab' context menu item does not work (remains greyed out) after closing a tab(s).
A closed tab will only be added to the "closed tab history" if you change the search.
Did you perform some other action where you expected the tab to be added to the "closed tab history"?

Dragging tabs off: It would be nice if the new window would detach and move with the cursor once the drag leaves the tab bar (not having to move the cursor out of the main window entirely, OR if some type of 'overlay' would appear and move with the cursor indicating that the tab has been detached and is ready to drop.
Possibly in a future release.

Thank you for the suggestions.
JTB3

Post by JTB3 »

void wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:43 am
The 'Repoen Closed Tab' context menu item does not work (remains greyed out) after closing a tab(s).
A closed tab will only be added to the "closed tab history" if you change the search.
Did you perform some other action where you expected the tab to be added to the "closed tab history"?
Ah, I see. I first tested this with blank 'New Tab's. I see now it works fine with explicit searches. That's probably fine and consistent with most browsers. Nice work!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1381a adds support for cycling tabs by recently used order.

To set Everything to cycle tabs by recently used order:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Advanced tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show settings containing, search for:
    tab
  • Select: ctrl_tab_action
  • Set the value to: Cycle recently used tabs
  • Click OK.
extratype

Post by extratype »

void wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:43 am Thank you for your feedback JTB3,

If I set the search with command-line option and close the newly opened tab without editing, it's not added to the closed tab history.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for the feedback extratype,

This is currently by design.
Everything will only add the tab/window to your history when it is 'dirty'.

Creating a new tab and setting the search from a command line will not flag the tab as 'dirty'.
The tab can only be 'dirtied' by manually changing the search, search option or filter.

The next alpha update will flag the tab and window (but not the session) as dirty when setting the search from the command line.