Video properties stuck forever on some files

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
elcato

Video properties stuck forever on some files

Post by elcato »

Hi there and thank you for the great work. I would like to report an issue please, maybe it is a bug in Everything 1.5a.

indexing video properties (video bitrate - total bitrate) has some issues:
- if file is bigger than 0 KB and smaller than 2KB (size:<2kb size:>0kb), the indexing will stuck forever on some files.
suggestion fix:
- adding a "Minimum size" option next to the already exist "Maximum size" in the options -> properties tab. Also adding a "Maximum time per file in seconds" to address any other future issues.

- another issue is long time indexing of properties, which is understandable, but losing progress at any file makes you lose all progress and starts from the beginning.
suggestion fix:
- adding an option "saving interval time in seconds" next to the previous suggested options, so it will save files that have been processed to the database every "?" seconds. So for example after 6 hours of progress you will not lose your progress.
void
Developer

Re: Video properties stuck forever on some files

Post by void »

Thank you for the bugreport elcato,

Could you please upload the small file that is causing Everything to get stuck here:
/bugreport

I will consider a minimum size option and a timeout option.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Everything will save your database to disk when you exit Everything (File -> Exit)
Everything will save your database to disk daily at 4am.
This can be set under Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> db_auto_save settings
elcato

Post by elcato »

Thank you for the reply, I deleted a lot of those files but I will try to find one.

I looked in the settings for db_auto_save and found multiple:

db_auto_save_on_close=1
db_auto_save_idle_delay=60000
db_auto_save_at_minute=0
db_auto_save_at_hour=4
db_auto_save_interval=86400000 (I believe this is in micro seconds, it would make no scenes to save every 24000 hours = 3 years :lol: )
db_auto_save_type=2 (2 means the alias Daily, and 1 means the alias Interval)

I believe if I set db_auto_save_type to Interval, and set db_auto_save_interval to 60000, it will save the database every minute, am I correct. But the question is : will it save the database during indexing ?
Because if it doesn't save the database during indexing, then unfortunately it will be useless to use this option.

I hope it saves database during indexing, or at least stops the indexing for a couple of seconds, saves database, then continue indexing as normal.
void
Developer

Post by void »

db_auto_save_interval is in milliseconds.

86400000 is one day.

db_auto_save_interval
db_auto_save_type (0=disabled, 1=Interval, 2=Daily)

I believe if I set db_auto_save_type to Interval, and set db_auto_save_interval to 60000, it will save the database every minute, am I correct.
60000 is 1 minute.
Please don't use 1 minute.
Everything will be constantly writing to disk.
Use at least one hour:
db_auto_save_interval=3600000

But the question is : will it save the database during indexing ?
Yes.
Property indexing progress is also saved to your Everything.db
Property indexing is a background task.
You can save the db without interrupting property indexing.
Property indexing will resume on Everything startup from where you left it on Everything exit.
elcato

Post by elcato »

Thank you for the clarification. Then 1 hour it is 👍.
My bad 😅, milliseconds. It is really a relief to know that it can save during indexing. Big thanks.
As soon as I find a video file that causes the error I will upload it 👍.
elcato

Post by elcato »

I guess there is something wrong.
- I tried to change the settings to save "Interval" every 1 hour, nothing changed and the database is not changing in size nor in modification date.
- I tried to change the settings to save "Interval" every 30 minutes, same thing.
- I changed the path to the database from empty "default", to a folder inside "C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\test", to see if that will force it to save database to that location, but nothing changed.
- I checked "Fast Sort" in properties tab so it will be persistent, and I checked "index attributes", maybe it will be saved to the database, but it is still indexing. I will wait for it then give another feedback.

As a last resort I will exit the program from file -> exit to see if it saves the database to the new location, although I am afraid of losing a lot of hours of indexing and trail and error , cause it is only indexed in this session cache "Or RAM, I am not sure where".

I will update this post as soon as I can.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make sure Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> db_auto_save_type is set to Interval.
elcato

Post by elcato »

That is the first thing that I checked, and unfortunately it is set correctly. All other settings I checked and they are all correct.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything will not have write permission to: C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\test

Please leave the database location blank.
Please make sure Tools -> Options -> General -> Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything is enabled.
elcato

Post by elcato »

ok done .. I left it blank .. and checked Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything ..
And now, we wait 😕 .
elcato

Post by elcato »

Until indexing is finished and we find out what is going on, can I suggest another suggestion:
- when right click on a folder, or a drive, and choosing "Search Everything 1.5a", always open a new tab or a new window for the new search.

The current behavior is that when you right click and search with Everything, the program will switch to the last opened tab in the last opened window and resets and clears the search result in this tab.

It will be more convenient and better to start this new right-click search in a new tab, maybe even a new window, or even both options as a "check boxes", so the old search results are not gone.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Hi,
try Everything Options - 1.5.0.1383a (x64) > UI > ✅ Open searches in tabs
elcato

Post by elcato »

Big Thanks. Open searches in tabs did the trick 👍
elcato

Post by elcato »

It started to work normally again and it is saving every 30 minutes as expected. Maybe it was an anomaly. If anything happened again I will report back. Thanks everyone.